Broken Electrical Goods Advice

You've just spent a small fortune on expensive electronics for Christmas and it suddenly goes kaput!

Here's what you do:

Don't put up with broken electrical goods - if an item breaks and it's not your fault, you have a right to a free repair, replacement or refund depending when and where you bought it.

What to do when an item is faulty

● Don't attempt to fix it yourself - this could stop you getting redress because it will make it harder to prove you did not cause the fault. You may also risk injuring yourself.

● Return it to the retailer - It's the responsibility of the retailer to help you resolve the problem, not the manufacturer. They should cover the costs of returning the item - contact them first to check the best way to do this and to negotiate an option that's most convenient for you.

Getting a repair, replacement or refund

● Bought within the last 30 days - you can get a refund on a faulty product.

● Bought within the last 6 months - you are entitled to have it repaired or replaced once. If the item still doesn't work you should get a full refund.

● Bought more than 6 months ago- you may still get a repair or replacement but you will only get a partial refund to reflect the use you've got out of the item. You'll need to prove you didn't cause the fault which may make it harder to get redress.

● Doesn't work? If you have one repair and it doesn't succeed, you can ask for a full or partial refunding, depending on when the purchase was made.

● Replace it with something different? The retailer should try to replace the item like-for-like. This may not always be possible, so if you're offered something you don't want you can ask for a refund.

What to do when an item is unsafe

● Stop using it - and unplug it if applicable.

● Trading Standards - report it via the Citizens Advice consumer service on

● If it gets recalled, follow the manufacturer's guidance - this could include not leaving the item unattended when in use.

For peace of mind you may want to stop using it altogether.

Call Consumer advice on 3454 04 05 060 if necessary.